Luke Schroeder is the Owner of Starting Strength Cincinnati. After graduating with a Bachelor’s degree in Management from Purdue University, Luke worked in leadership positions across several industries, including aerospace and manufacturing. These positions include serving as the Plant Manager of Red Spot Paint, the Manufacturing Manager of Zimmer Biomet, the Senior Operations Manager of NuVasive, and the Director of Operations at Bullen Ultrasonics.
Luke joins us today to discuss what it takes for a company to successfully navigate uncertainty. He shares his background and his journey to becoming the owner of Starting Strength Cincinnati. He reveals what made him leave the corporate world to own a business and enumerates the advantages of working with a franchise to launch a business. Luke also highlights the role of communication in any company and underscores what his previous work experiences taught him about running his own business.
“The leaders who were bold enough to stand up and define what the company was facing, articulate a vision for how to get through it, and lead from the front were the leaders that got us through uncertainty.” – Luke Schroeder
This week on The Owner’s Corner:
- Luke’s background and his journey as a business owner
- How he discovered his passion for operations, solving problems, and driving efficiency
- How it felt to leave a stable career to start a business and what it took to launch Luke’s fitness center
- The advantages of working with a franchise
- His advice to people who are considering launching a business
- What led Luke to utilize a franchise opportunity to start his business
- How Luke worked with the SPA program to secure capital for his business
- The importance of cultivating relationships with employees as a leader
- What Luke’s previous jobs taught him about work ethic and leadership amid uncertainty
- The impact of COVID-19 on the aerospace industry
- The characteristics that help companies successfully navigate times of uncertainty
- The three characteristics Luke looks for in an employee
- Book: Starting Strength: Basic Barbell Training by Mark Rippetoe
- Book: Extreme Ownership: How U.S. Navy SEALs Lead and Win by Jocko Willink
- Book: 12 Rules for Life: An Antidote to Chaos by Jordan Peterson
- Book: The Five Dysfunctions of a Team: A Leadership Role by Patrick Lencioni
Our Favorite Quotes:
- “What makes a lot of business owners successful is their passion behind what they’re doing, and turning that passion into a business.” – Seth Whicker
- “When times are the toughest, our people look at us and how we’re responding, and they respond accordingly—they’re guided by your every move as a leader.” – Seth Whicker
- “We all emulate the leaders who inspired us.” – Luke Schroeder
Connect with Luke Schroeder:
- Starting Strength Cincinnati
- Starting Strength Cincinnati on Instagram
- Starting Strength Cincinnati on Facebook
- Starting Strength Cincinnati on Twitter
- Luke Schroeder on LinkedIn
About SYM Financial and The Owner’s Corner Podcast
The Owner’s Corner is a show for business owners. In each episode, host and financial planner Seth Whicker sits down with business owners and the professionals that serve them to talk about what it takes to build a business. Our guests come from many industries and walks of life to share their biggest wins, mistakes made along the way, and their thinking about the all-important exit planning.
Email Seth at firstname.lastname@example.org with questions, comments, and to schedule a one-on-one conversation.
And, if you enjoy the show, please leave a review on iTunes to help others discover the podcast.
Disclosure: The information contained in this message (including any attachments) is confidential and may be privileged. It is intended only for the recipient(s) named above. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any review, dissemination, distribution or copying of this message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify SYM Financial Advisors (“SYM”) immediately and destroy the material in its entirety. All communications requiring immediate attention or action, such as trade requests or other time sensitive matters should not be sent to SYM via email. Internet communications cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free as information may arrive later than intended, be intercepted, be corrupted, or contain viruses. This material is not an offer or solicitation to buy or sell any product. The opinions expressed herein are those of SYM and are subject to change without notice. To the extent that performance information is contained in this email, past performance is not indicative of future results. SYM is an independent registered investment adviser. More information about SYM including our investment strategies, fees and objectives can be found in our Form ADV Part 2, which is available upon request.