Holly Miller is the CEO of United Way of Midland County in Midland, Michigan. She is an integral part of the community and is in leadership positions for many teams and collaborative groups. Her work with the Rotary Contemporary View Club, Midland Business Alliance, Health and Services Council, and Midland Area Wellbeing Coalition helps improve lives and bring people together. She is a graduate of Lansing Community College at Kendall and Kendall School of Design where she earned a bachelor’s degree in Graphic Design. Holly lives in Midland with her husband and enjoys spending time with her two children and four grandchildren.
Today, Holly recounts her journey to becoming a community leader and how a health scare helped her reorganize her priorities. She discusses how her mindset about community work has allowed her to work in the face of criticism and how that’s helped her keep her team motivated. She tells us some stories about the historic flooding in 2020 and how she helped her community during the local upheaval and a global pandemic. Holly also shares her vision for the future of her community and reveals how aspiring community leaders can get involved.
“It’s in the struggle or the change or the unknown that you really learn more about yourself.” – Holly Miller
This week on Executive Decisions:
- How Holly got her start as a community leader
- How a health scare helped Holly realize her true passion
- The people who inspired Holly to challenge herself
- How Holly ignores the naysayers
- The role of integrity in nonprofit work
- How United Way brings volunteers together after a crisis
- United Way gives a voice to the voiceless
- How Holly views leadership
- How the pandemic and devastating floods influenced programming and collaboration
- How to make every dollar help the most people
- What Holly is most excited about for the future of her community
- Debunking myths about people in need
- Where Holly draws her strength as a leader
- How Holly balances her work life and personal life
- Holly’s advice for aspiring community leaders
- Book: Braving the Wilderness: The Quest for True Belonging and the Courage to Stand Alone by Brené Brown
- Book: Dare To Lead: Brave Work. Tough Conversations. Whole Hearts. by Brené Brown
- Book: The Motive: Why So Many Leaders Abdicate Their Most Important Responsibilities by Patrick M. Lencioni
Our Favorite Quotes:
- “As a leader, it can be a little tough to try to collaborate and positively move all these resources in a very emotional time for the community.” – Sarah Delahanty
- “I am continuously impressed with the ability of people to just lean into change, raise their hand and say, how can I help?.” – Holly Miller
- “If you’ve ever had to ask for help, whether it’s through an organization or a family member or a friend, it’s a humbling experience.” – Sarah Delahanty
Connect with Holly Miller:
- Holly Miller on LinkedIn
- United Way of Midland County on LinkedIn
- United Way of Midland County Website
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
About SYM Financial and Executive Decisions Podcast
Executive Decisions is a show for business leaders. In each episode, host and financial advisor Sarah Delahanty sits down with executives and local experts who serve them. Together, they tackle some of the harder questions that business leaders face today. From inspiring creativity in the workplace, to managing company politics, to making the best choices with executive compensation, taxes, and lifestyle — our show delivers stories and lessons learned across many industries and lifetimes.
Email Sarah at email@example.com with questions, comments, and to schedule a one-on-one conversation.
And, if you enjoy the show, please leave a review to help others discover the podcast.
Disclosure: Certain links above are to third-party sites and are not affiliated with SYM Financial Corporation (“SYM”). SYM is an independent investment adviser registered under the Investment Advisers Act of 1940, as amended. Registration does not imply a certain level of skill or training. More information about SYM including our investment strategies, fees and objectives can be found in our ADV Part 2, which is available upon request.