Jimmy Greene is the President & CEO of Associated Builders & Contractors (ABC) of Michigan, a trade association representing Michigan’s commercial and industrial construction industries. He is the first Black CEO in the organization’s 60-year history. Jimmy is also the founder of Total Solutions Group in Saginaw, a firm specializing in technology project consulting and telecommunications. Before becoming the President of the ABC of Michigan, he served as president and CEO of Associated Builders & Contractors, Greater Michigan Chapter and the Greater Michigan Construction Academy.
Jimmy joins me to share his journey from a rocky childhood to becoming the first Black CEO of ABC of Michigan. He explains why he never wanted to be like his parents growing up and how a family tragedy became a turning point in his life, ultimately making him pursue greatness. He highlights why every contribution to your community is essential to at least one person. He discusses why leadership programs should be reviewed and why he believes there are too many leadership books. Jimmy also shares why he believes life is all about doorknobs and why your community is like a bank.
“We have to treat the community like a bank. You can’t withdraw more than you deposit.” – Jimmy Greene
This week on Executive Decisions:
- Jimmy’s accomplishments across various industries
- Jimmy’s first professional experience
- Why Jimmy didn’t want to be like his parents
- How a tragedy became a turning point for Jimmy
- Jimmy’s advice to those who are rushing at life
- How you can have intentional contributions
- The experiences that contributed to Jimmy’s current leadership role
- Leadership programs and why Jimmy believes we should ‘scrap them’
- Why life is all doorknobs
- Jimmy’s interests outside of work
Our Favorite Quotes:
- “Every single contribution, every single moment of my time meant some difference to one person.” – Jimmy Greene
- “The social contract we all need to understand is we’re making deposits and withdrawals, and we want to make sure we don’t outweigh our withdrawals against our deposits.” – Sarah Delahanty
- “Influences shape your decisions and shape your founding principles of who you are.” – Sarah Delahanty
Connect with Jimmy Greene:
About SYM Financial and Executive Decisions Podcast
Executive Decisions is a show for business leaders. In each episode, host and financial advisor Sarah Delahanty sits down with executives and local experts who serve them. Together, they tackle some of the harder questions that business leaders face today. From inspiring creativity in the workplace, to managing company politics, to making the best choices with executive compensation, taxes, and lifestyle — our show delivers stories and lessons learned across many industries and lifetimes.
Email Sarah at firstname.lastname@example.org with questions, comments, and to schedule a one-on-one conversation.
And, if you enjoy the show, please leave a review to help others discover the podcast.
Disclosure: The information contained in this message (including any attachments) is confidential and may be privileged. It is intended only for the recipient(s) named above. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any review, dissemination, distribution or copying of this message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify SYM Financial Advisors (“SYM”) immediately and destroy the material in its entirety. All communications requiring immediate attention or action, such as trade requests or other time sensitive matters should not be sent to SYM via email. Internet communications cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free as information may arrive later than intended, be intercepted, be corrupted, or contain viruses. This material is not an offer or solicitation to buy or sell any product. The opinions expressed herein are those of SYM and are subject to change without notice. To the extent that performance information is contained in this email, past performance is not indicative of future results. SYM is an independent registered investment adviser. More information about SYM including our investment strategies, fees and objectives can be found in our Form ADV Part 2, which is available upon request.