Ed Mohr is the retired Vice President of Total Rewards at Whirlpool Corporation, a Fortune 200 company specializing in home appliances. With a background in HR, manufacturing, and logistics, Ed has accumulated 29 years of experience in various roles. In his current position, he is accountable for executive compensation, broad-based compensation, global mobility, benefits, health, wellness pensions, and 401 k plans globally. As a member of the Global Senior HR Leadership Team, he plays a crucial role in shaping the company’s human resources strategies. Ed holds a bachelor’s degree in Marketing and a Master of Business Administration from Western Michigan University.
Today, Ed and I discuss his early career experiences and the path he took to become a leader. He emphasizes the importance of work-life balance and shares lessons he learned from his diverse career. He outlines the benefits of diverse backgrounds in a team. Ed suggests focusing on experiences that contribute to personal growth, exploring different roles, and developing leadership skills. He describes his career transitions and the importance of continuous learning, challenges, and making meaningful contributions. He details why it’s crucial to care about people, build relationships, and have a positive influence on others. He explains the balance between career planning and being present in the current role and how to take career risks. Ed also encourages curiosity, learning from experiences, and finding enjoyment in all situations and shares his upcoming travel plans.
“Instead of always concentrating on the actual function, concentrate more on the experiences and what the experiences are going to get you.” – Ed Mohr
This week on Executive Decisions:
- How Ed’s early career experiences helped him on his journey to leadership
- Work-life balance and the lessons he learned from his diverse career
- The benefits of diverse backgrounds in teams
- How experiences contribute to personal growth more than specific jobs
- The importance of continuous learning and challenges
- How to foster genuine relationships
- The importance of caring about people and their work experience
- How to balance career planning and being present in the current role
- Traits that can harm a leader’s career
- The importance of finding enjoyment in all situations
- Why you should enjoy the journey rather than solely focusing on the destination.
Our Favorite Quotes:
- “ When you’re having fun and enjoying what you do, the rest of it falls into place—enjoying the work, having meaningful relationships, and having a good time.” – Sarah Delahanty
- “Always learn things from people no matter who they are. It’s shocking what people teach you. ” – Ed Mohr
- “To be an effective leader, you have to have fellowship and followers.” – Sarah Delahanty
Connect with Ed Mohr:
About SYM Financial and Executive Decisions Podcast
Executive Decisions is a show for business leaders. In each episode, host and financial advisor Sarah Delahanty sits down with executives and local experts who serve them. Together, they tackle some of the harder questions that business leaders face today. From inspiring creativity in the workplace, to managing company politics, to making the best choices with executive compensation, taxes, and lifestyle — our show delivers stories and lessons learned across many industries and lifetimes.
Email Sarah at email@example.com with questions, comments, and to schedule a one-on-one conversation.
And, if you enjoy the show, please leave a review to help others discover the podcast.
Disclosure: Certain links above are to third-party sites and are not affiliated with SYM Financial Corporation (“SYM”). SYM is an independent investment adviser registered under the Investment Advisers Act of 1940, as amended. Registration does not imply a certain level of skill or training. More information about SYM including our investment strategies, fees and objectives can be found in our ADV Part 2, which is available upon request.