Dr. Matt Eckert has been practicing dentistry for the past 28 years. Together with his business partner Ryan Hart, Matt operates Downtown Dental, a practice honored by his long-term patients. Matt completed his undergraduate degree from Ball State University and completed his Doctorate of Dental Surgery degree at the Indiana University School of Dentistry. He is a member of several professional organizations, including the American Dental Association, the Isaac Knapp District Dental Society, and Andrews Lions Club.
Matt joins me today to share his insights on running a dental practice in Huntington, Indiana. He discusses why he pivoted from studying architecture to dentistry and explains why he decided to start his practice in his hometown. He shares his advice on getting a business partner, managing a dental practice’s finances, and prioritizing family over work. He also highlights the power of serving a community and underscores the importance of working with a financial advisor as soon as you can in your career.
“Dentistry was easy; the business part was a lesson learned by trial and error.” – Dr. Matt Eckert
This week on The Owner’s Corner:
- Matt’s background and why he decided to start his dental practice in his hometown
- How Matt knew that dentistry is something he wanted to pursue
- Going to dental school and how it prepared him for running a business
- How partnering with an experienced dentist helped Matt at the beginning of his career
- Why dentists need to learn how to manage their practice’s finances
- The challenges of bringing in a business partner to your dental practice
- The “hire-fire” part of running a business and why hiring compassionate staff is crucial in a dental practice
- The biggest risk Matt has taken and the fears he faced in his business
- The best decisions he made in running his dental practice
- How being dedicated to making the community a better place has benefitted Matt and his practice
- What Matt wishes he did sooner for his financial life and how he teaches his children about money
- His advice for young dentists who are about to start their career
- The power of continuing education and why everyone should prioritize their families first
Our Favorite Quotes:
- “You can have the best idea in the world, but if you can’t make your finances work, you’ll quickly run out of business.” – Seth Whicker
- “Dentistry is the easy part; running a business is the fun part.” – Dr. Matt Eckert
- “In your day to day grind, it’s easy to forget to let your staff know how much they’re appreciated.” – Seth Whicker
Connect with Dr. Matt Eckert:
About SYM Financial and The Owner’s Corner Podcast
The Owner’s Corner is a show for business owners. In each episode, host and CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™ Seth Whicker sits down with business owners and the professionals that serve them to talk about what it takes to build a business. Our guests come from many industries and walks of life to share their biggest wins, mistakes made along the way, and their thinking about the all-important exit planning.
Email Seth at email@example.com with questions, comments, and to schedule a one-on-one conversation.
Follow SYM Financial on Facebook
And, if you enjoy the show, please leave a review on iTunes to help others discover the podcast.CERTIFIED
Disclosure: Certain links above are to third-party sites and are not affiliated with SYM Financial Corporation (“SYM”). SYM is an independent investment adviser registered under the Investment Advisers Act of 1940, as amended. Registration does not imply a certain level of skill or training. More information about SYM including our investment strategies, fees and objectives can be found in our ADV Part 2, which is available upon request.